Monday, February 5, 2007

Why I Think I'll Die of a Heart Ailment at an Early Age

Suppressing one's anger and annoyance can not be very good for one's health.

Right now, I'm trying to be as calm, diplomatic, and civilized as I can while I type away in my little cubicle here at Netopia. There is another student behind me who is chirpily humming the birthday song every 3 seconds.

*Deep breaths, just keep taking deep breaths...

It must be said: there is nothing in the world that annoys me more than hearing unnecessary and repetitive noise. It's up there alongside with people who sing along to songs although they never get the lyrics right. And people who make those "tsup-tsup" sounds while listening to songs with catchy melodies.

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt; she probably has no idea how offensive her caterwauling is to my eardrums since she's got headphones clamped to her ears.

Meanwhile, this energy ball of aggression and loathing ferments in my stomach, where it will probably languish and convert itself into fuel for a future heart attack. I say: it isn't the kind-hearted people who die early; it's the non-confrontational kind who dig themselves an early grave, what with the amount of pent-up and 'outbursts' they harbor.

I try and ward off a future "birthday song" LSS attack by staging a mini-concert inside the confines of my mind. How apt that the song playing in my mind is Radiohead's "Karma Police"

"...(s)he buzzes like a fridge, (s)he's like a detuned radio..."