Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Stewing in nothingness




To One Unnamed III


Li Shangyin



Time was long before I met her, but is longer since we parted,
And the east wind has arisen and a hundred flowers are gone,
And the silk-worms of spring will weave until they die
And every night the candles will weep their wicks away.
Mornings in her mirror she sees her hair-cloud changing,
Yet she dares the chill of moonlight with her evening song.
...It is not so very far to her Enchanted Mountain
O blue-birds, be listening!-Bring me what she says!


---


Calm down, this poem isn't dedicated to anyone special. I just wanted to post this here coz we had a quiz about it earlier during Sir Don's Poetry class. Chinese poems are sooo hard to figure out--their imagery is kinda hard to picture out--like it's swimming in space or something. Anyway, the way I see it, this poem is all about the torment of distance upon lovers--or something. As my answer in the quiz went, the man in poem is "stewing in anguish over the many days, weeks, months--even years--that he and his lover have to spent away from each other." Haha, I don't know where that "stewing" stuff came from, I just wanted to write it to add a dramatic flourish to my answer, and somewhat obscure the truth that I totally have no idea as to the real theme of the poem. Stewing...mmm, reminds me of kare-kare. Anyhoo, apart from that, nothing of notable importance happened today. I hung around the library the rest of the afternoon, waiting for my 5:50 Debate class. Then, at 4:00 or so, someone sent me a text message, informing me that Debate class was cancelled. So I just went home.


I wanted to write about someone I first met in third grade today, but since it's already late I'll write it some other time. Oooh, who could it be???


Labels: ,